So, can someone please tell me why I never realized that this is exactly what is going on with Paige? I feel like an idiot. I started researching NLD for this blog post and found myself staring at the screen, dumbfounded that I am just now figuring it out.
According to all of the reading I've done over the past 3 days (and believe me, I have not stopped reading) the characteristics of a NLD child are as such...
* Above average reading skills. They are often early readers.
* Above average language skills. They talk like mini adults.
* Above average rote memory.
* Socially they struggle because they are not able to understand non verbal communication.
* NLD kids have difficulty in math and reasoning skills.
* Difficulty with visual and spacial functioning.
* Poor handwriting skills.
* Problems with balance and coordination.
Paige fits these characteristics perfectly. Some of the websites out there listed examples and I swear they were writing about Paige. One example that was given (I cannot recall which website-brain overload here!) was that NLD kids are literal children. OMG!! We have called Paige "literal girl" (goes to the tune of Madonna's "material girl") for years!
The best source for information, that I have found is
http://www.nldontheweb.org/ Please speak up if you have a better source as I am scrambling to find as much info as possible.
This discovery is just one more example of how it is imperative that preemies are studied past the age of 2!
A big thank you to Teri for the post suggestion and reminding me of a study that Helen had mentioned...
Now I'm back to that place that is so familiar..... where do I go from here?